How You Can Help

by Carol Hess on May 11, 2012

Right now, as you read this, American school officials are deciding which children to send home with food over the weekend, because there will be no food in their homes.

In the richest country in the world, the United States of America, children are going hungry.  This is criminal, revolting, reprehensible – I can’t think of a strong enough word to describe this deplorable and unacceptable situation.

And it isn’t just happening somewhere else.  It’s happening right in your own neighborhood.  Your local food banks and pantries can’t keep up with the demand.  Your children and grandchildren are going to school with kids who don’t get enough to eat.

Here’s how you can help.

Tomorrow (Saturday, May 12th), letter carriers across the country, in partnership with the U.S. Postal Service, will be collecting food for families in need.  Please do your part.  Collect and bag non-perishable* food items and then place your bag(s) by your mailbox for your letter carrier to deliver to your local food bank or pantry.

If we all do our part, maybe this will be the weekend no child in the United States goes to bed hungry.

Please open your heart and your wallet.  Give generously.

Thank you.

*  Canned meats, fish, soup, juice, vegetables, pasta, cereal, and rice.  Please do not include items that have expired or are in glass containers.

Categories Community, Weighing In (Rants & Raves)

avatar jules- big girl bombshell May 11, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Yep.. I SO agree with you. My grocery bag is already packed. Also, an added note, because Food Banks are part of co-ops, your donated dollars go farther than you purchasing at the store yourself!

avatar Carol Hess May 12, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I didn’t know that about food banks being part of co-ops. Good to know. I got a tad carried away at the grocery store this morning. I’m sure my letter carrier is cursing me! Canned goods are heavy. But I was delighted how much food I got for the bucks I spent. Apparently our local grocery store was also inspired to make their own donation. Yay!

avatar Steph Marks May 11, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Thanks for the reminder, Carol. No child in this country should be hungry. For that matter, no one should.

avatar Carol Hess May 12, 2012 at 1:24 pm

You are absolutely right, Steph. None of our neighbors should be going hungry, no matter what their age.

avatar paula May 13, 2012 at 11:39 am

to share also that this ‘backpack’ program is in effect at some area churches, in particular, the unitarian universalist church in sarasota – my guess is there are many participating in these programs.

avatar Carol Hess May 14, 2012 at 7:18 am

I hadn’t heard of the backpack program, Paula. That’s good news.

avatar paula May 16, 2012 at 9:41 pm

it’s very cool, actually – they raise money and collect food during the week, all of which is packed up by volunteers on thursday and delivered to children on friday – over 200 ‘backpacks’ of food are delivered every week to kids who qualify and partake of the breakfast and lunch programs in schools during the week but who really don’t have any kind of regularity in their meals, or even the guarantee of a meal, over the weekend. it’s a creative way to address a really bad problem.

avatar Carol Hess May 17, 2012 at 7:09 am

Yes, a very cool program because it is so simple and effective. 200 backpacks is a lot to pack. Thank heavens for the volunteerism in this country. Where would we be without it? Thanks, Paula, for sharing about this program. Maybe it will give somebody the idea to start a similar program in their own community.