After dinner last night, I made a run to the drugstore and was surprised to see the store bustling with people. Actually, it was bustling with men – all of them milling around the picked-over Valentine’s Day cards and stuffed animal displays. To a man, they had the worried, shell-shocked look of the battle-scarred, last-minute romantic holiday shopper.
I’m a big buyer of Valentine’s Day cards because I’m a single woman with a fair number of single women friends and relatives. February 14th isn’t the single woman’s favorite day of the year, so I spend some time and effort picking out funny cards and writing appropriately wry and witty notes in them. I wasn’t able to find any heart stamps this year, but I did make a special trip to the post office to be sure the cards would arrive on time.
So I didn’t have a lot of sympathy for the last-minute would-be lotharios who were disgruntedly grabbing the first card and/or stuffed animal they saw. Their efforts seemed rather half-hearted (pun intended) at best. If you’re going to go in for the Valentine’s Day hoopla, then at least do it wholeheartedly (yes, pun intended). Gentlemen, the degree to which your lover rewards your efforts will be in direct proportion to how much time and thought (no, not money) you expended.
No, my Valentine’s Day sympathies lie (as always some would argue) with the women.
- The women who are in a relationship with last night’s romance reprobates.
- The women whose partners are Valentine’s Day bah humbuggers.
- The women without lovers on this day for lovers only who still manage to put on a brave face but who secretly yearn for a Valentine’s surprise from a secret admirer.
Having survived many a loverless February 14th over the years, I have some words of advice for my Valentine’s Day-challenged sisters:
- What does or doesn’t happen today isn’t a measure of how loved or lovable you are. It just isn’t. Believe it. Today is the perfect day to start.
- The most important relationship in your life is the relationship with yourself. All love begins with loving yourself. Today is the perfect day to start.
- Don’t wait for someone else to romance you. Romance yourself. Today is the perfect day to start.
Now, if you will excuse me, I’ve got to go check my mailbox again. I’m sure my secret admirer is just running a little bit late this year. Or maybe he couldn’t find a good enough card and/or stuffed animal at the drugstore last night. Yes, that must be it.
PS — Since I posted this, I have been to my mailbox. And, lo and behold, there was indeed a card from a secret admirer! I suspect it might be from the kids next door, which means I have three secret admirers. That’s about all any one woman can handle, don’t you think? Mustn’t be greedy.