It’s a Miracle!

by Carol Hess on May 2, 2011

Sound the trumpets!  It’s a miracle!

I’ve got to be honest.  In my heart of hearts, I never thought it would happen.  At least not for me.  But it did!

Do you want to know what my miracle is?  Are you ready?

Actually, before I tell you, let me put my miracle into context for you.  (Yes, I’m toying with you.  But you’ve gotta give me my moment in the sun, right?)

This miracle of mine is one of my major self care touchstones.  In other words, when I visualize the healthy lifestyle I want to lead, the miracle is always present in that vision.

1,300 Weeks

The miracle represents the breaking of a pattern that has been active in my life at least 25 years.  It is a pattern I have acted out at least once a week and sometimes as often as three or four times a week for the past 1,300 weeks.

Of all my unhealthy patterns, I thought this one would be the last to go.  And, instead, it is one of the first to go.  And that’s a miracle.  Your 21-gun salute, trumpets blaring, everyone cheering, giant fireworks exploding kind of miracle.

My miracle has given me hope – real hope that I might actually end up adopting a healthy lifestyle, that I might actually release the 100 plus pounds I need to lose, that I might actually live the rest of my life as a vital, strong, healthy woman who enjoys taking good care of herself.

Drum roll please

So now you have the context of my miracle.  And now I’m ready to tell you what that miracle is.  Drum roll please . . . . . . .

I haven’t eaten a McDonald’s double cheeseburger with fries for 3 weeks – 21 days to be exact.  And that is a major miracle!

I know some of you are disappointed.  Maybe you’re even feeling like I tricked you.  You figured the miracle would be much grander, sexier, more awe-inspiring.

That’s exactly how I used to feel.  I had to become a vegan or lose at least fifty pounds or run a marathon before it “counted.”  And somehow, no matter what I did, it was never quite good enough to count.  I kept raising the bar.

Learning the Hard Way

But I’m learning the hard way (because that seems to be the only way I learn) that it is the small changes, the little steps of the journey that “count” – that need to be acknowledged, celebrated, and welcomed with deep humility and gratitude.

The richness, deliciousness, juiciness of this journey of mine doesn’t reside in its destination.  It resides in every halting step I take forward (and backward) on my way to my journey’s destination.

I’m okay with that.  In fact, I’m very okay with that.  Now is where the power is – not someday in the future.  Coincidentally, that’s also exactly where I can find the God of my understanding – in the now.

But of course that makes perfect sense, doesn’t it?  After all, who’s the ultimate Source of all our miracles, including my McDonald’s Miracle?

What step are you taking today to polish your star that you can celebrate?  What miracle is working in your life right now today?

Categories Healthy Lifestyle, Personal Empowerment, The Mind Game, Weight Loss

avatar Sara May 2, 2011 at 11:35 am

Congratulations!

If you really and truly never want to touch fast food again, all you have to do is watch Food, Inc. My husband was a verified Wendy’s addict and in the three months since we watched the film he hasn’t once touched the filthy stuff. I’m so proud!

-Sara

avatar Carol Hess May 2, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I’m such an ostrich with her head in the sand kind of person. I’m afraid to watch things like Food, Inc. for fear the images will be forever implanted in my head. How pitiful is that? And maybe that’s exactly why I SHOULD watch it. It might be time to join reality. Sigh. I do so enjoy my fantasy land. :)

avatar Monica Dennis May 2, 2011 at 12:39 pm

WOOOOOO HOOOOOO! Congratulations, Carol! Not just for the miracle, but for allowing yourself to celebrate every day you make it through on YOUR terms. That fast food stuff is a great way to add the pounds quickly and to nickle and dime yourself just as quickly, so you are making miracles on TWO fronts! I won’t even pretend like I want to ditch fast food entirely. People like me who hate to cook have to be a tad more open to stuff like that. But I think doing it so infrequently that I can never easily remember the last time I ate it will suffice for me.

Keep up the good work and celebrating those milestones!

avatar Carol Hess May 2, 2011 at 2:35 pm

When I was in massage school in Sarasota, Florida a gajillion years ago, there was a healthy fast food place. Can’t remember the name now — something with the word Frog in it? Anyway, ever since then, I’ve wondered why someone doesn’t make healthy fast food available, with children and busy people and non-cooks in mind. Now there’s a market niche that is begging to be filled, don’t you think?

avatar Rebecca May 2, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Hey Carol that’s absolutely fabulous!!
20 years ago, I thought I would try to be vegetarian for two weeks and that two week trial continues to last even now. I never planned it, it just worked that way. So who knows where your three weeks will lead…
What works for me is to focus on the abundance of foods you want to be eating and this will leave less space for everything else…
You are on a mission, inspiring and fabulous as ever!
Rebecca x x

avatar Carol Hess May 2, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I like the idea of trying something on for size and remaining open to where it leads instead of handing down directives to myself — thou shalt not (fill in the blank). Those directives get me in trouble. They kick off the rebellious child in me. There is part of a prayer that goes something like, “I can do for 24 hours what it would appall me to do for the rest of my life.” In other words, small steps (you trying on vegetarianism for 2 weeks) can lead one on a great journey (you still walking the vegetarian path 20 years later).

Yes, yes, yes to focusing on the abundance of foods we want to eat as opposed to focusing on those few foods we choose not to eat. And there is so much variety in fruits and vegetables. it boggles the mind.

I’m thinking of buying a partial share in a local organic farm. That means every week during the growing season I will get my share of the fruits and vegetables being harvested that week. Participating in a CSA (community sponsored agriculture) program will probably expose me to some food with which I’m not particularly familiar, give me the opportunity to eat incredibly fresh organic food, and help support my local farmers. Talk about your win-win situation. I’ll never even miss that nasty stuff at the Golden Arches!

Thanks, Rebecca, as always for your insight. This is a path you’ve been on a long time, and I appreciate that you are one of the pathfinders in whose footsteps I’m walking. (Or is that crawling? I do feel like a newborn babe in most of this.)

avatar Killer Ab Workout June 28, 2012 at 12:09 am

“Appreciate you sharing, nice post.Actually thanks! A lot obliged.”

avatar Carol Hess June 28, 2012 at 10:03 am

So glad you liked it. Thank you.