So You Want to Change the World

by Carol Hess on June 5, 2012

Me too.

I want to change the world too.  I want to make a difference.

It’s scary to say it out loud.  It’s even scarier to write it down for the whole wide world to see (or at least anyone reading this blog post).  But it’s my truth.

It’s your truth too, isn’t it?

The minute we give voice to that truth – that we want to change the world – another voice is heard.

“Who the hell do you think you are?”

I’ll tell you who the hell I think you and I are.  We are seekers – looking for a better, kinder, more loving world.  A place where each person feels like they matter.  A planet inhabited by people who know their lives count.

“You’re getting entirely too big for your britches, Young Lady.”

That “Young Lady” says it all, doesn’t it?  But the truth is we’re not getting too big for anything.  In fact, we’ve been playing small – way too small.  And we’re sick and tired of doing it.  It’s time for us to pull on our big girl undies and do what we came here to do.

“There you go, getting on your high horse again.”

Yep, you better believe we are getting up on our high horses.  That’s so you can hear us.  Because we’ve been silent for too long.  We’ve got something to say, and we’re going to say it.  We’ve got a message to share.  It’s going to change the world and make it better.

Yep, you better believe we are getting up on our high horses.  That’s so you can see us.  Because we’ve been invisible for too long.  We’ve got a mission, and we’re going to accomplish it.  It’s going to change the world and make it better.

It’s not easy to change the world.  But we can do it, if we do it together.

Go ahead.  Stand up on that soapbox over there.  Pick up the megaphone and shout, “I’m here to change the world!”

Again.

“I’m here to change the world!”

And one more time because three is a magic manifestation number.

“I’m here to change the world.”

Listen!  Do you hear the clapping and the shouting?

I do.

Are you ready to share how you want to change the world?  Speak it loud and speak it proud in the comments below.

Categories Community, Dream Catching, Personal Empowerment, The Art of Star Polishing, Weighing In (Rants & Raves)

avatar Jenny June 5, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Yes!! It can be very scary to take on a message like this. “I want to change the world.” Who are we, indeed? However…if we don’t…who will? I’m with ya, sister. Let’s do it 😀

avatar Carol Hess June 5, 2012 at 5:25 pm

It’s really good to know we don’t have to do it all by ourselves, isn’t it, Jenny? I’m glad you’re with me! :)

avatar Sandi Amorim June 5, 2012 at 4:00 pm

This is brilliant. Really truly. It is so clear that we all have a choice. We can listen to the voice of fear that wants us to stay small or we can step up and own what we’re here for!

I’ve said this before but it bears repeating…
Either way, at the end of our lives they’ll throw us in a box, throw the box in the ground and throw dirt on it. How we get to that moment is totally up to us!

avatar Carol Hess June 5, 2012 at 5:27 pm

We all want to live a life that is fulfilling, that makes us feel like we matter. Well, this is the way. Do what we came here to do. There is NOTHING more rewarding. And the payoff? There are many, but one of them is no regrets the day we qualify for that box you’re talking about. And that is not a small payoff. In fact, it’s huge.

avatar Lynn Hess June 5, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Whoo hoo, I love how you are stepping into your power and saying what you’re here to say!

My favorite answer to the “Who the hell do you think you are?” question is “Who the hell do you think you are to deprive the world of what you have to offer?” When I have it presented to me that hiding and playing small is a selfish act, it makes me want to step up.

Yay for high horses, and yay to changing the world!!

avatar Carol Hess June 5, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Yes, Lynn, exactly! Our message and our mission are unique to each of us. No one else is going to do what we do the way we do it. That person whose life may not be changed because we didn’t share our message or carry out our mission will not be well served. So, if we won’t do it for ourselves (which I personally wish we all would), then I hope we will do it for others.

avatar Stephanie June 5, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Ki-yi-yippee-yippee-ay-yippee-ay! You tell it, girl! I see you up on that high horse encircled in light, charging full tilt ahead! When you get too big for your britches, get bigger britches and keep going! Great post! You are a world changer! Thanks for reminding us!

avatar Carol Hess June 5, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I can hear your cheer from here, Steph. I think that’s the cheer of a fellow world changer, if I’m not mistaken (and I know I’m not!).

avatar Stephanie June 5, 2012 at 6:04 pm

You are so right!

avatar Ellen Berg June 5, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Yes, who am I indeed? Who are any of us? We can’t wait for someone else to make our dreams happen, though women especially are programmed for that with their happily-ever-after princes rot. The moment we step into our own power is the moment we truly begin to live. Love this, Carol!

avatar Sarah June 5, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Yes! If not now, then when…? Who are we? We are the world changers! Back and ready to fly!

avatar Carol Hess June 6, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I love your question, Sarah — If not now, then when? The world needs now, so let’s spread our wings and fly!

avatar Joanna Saunders June 5, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Great post Carol. We are here to change the world and to work with women who are ready to make the changes along side us. I find our messages are very similar. I would like to ask you to guest post this on my site ——when it is set up. :)

avatar Carol Hess June 6, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I would be honored to be a guest blogger on your site, Joanna. And I’m so glad this post speaks to you. No wonder it does if our messages are so similar, right?

avatar jules- big girl bombshell June 5, 2012 at 9:26 pm

“I’m here to change the world!”
“I’m here to change the world.”
“I’m here to change the world.”
because three is a magic manifestation number.

With what i am going through at this moment….this is so power-filled…it seems especially scary to follow that voice, that drive …that scares the hello out of you but no matter what you have done to avoid it…it keeps swirling…calling out to be heard….a voice that COULD change the world even if it is just my world!

avatar Carol Hess June 6, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Yes, Jules, it is so frightening to heed the voice that is telling us to step into who we are and always have been. But living a less than life and exiting the planet without sharing our message or making a difference feels a heck of a lot more frightening, don’t you think? When we start to feel from that deepest core of us that we matter and our lives matter — and they do — that rocks our world in all sorts of great ways. And it just gets better and better, the more we carry out our mission. (But not necessarily less scary. :))

avatar Sydney Paredes June 6, 2012 at 10:20 am

Thank you, Carol! You were right…I did like your message. If one of your goals in changing the world is to be wind beneath wings, you’re doing it. I felt the lift when I read this. It helps me take my next small or big steps to make my contribution and to continue to lift women leaders to make theirs!

avatar Carol Hess June 6, 2012 at 3:41 pm

You just made my day, Sydney. I feel the energy of your soaring and the soaring of the women leaders with whom you work! With enough wings and that kind of energy, we can lift this planet to a whole new level. Talk about making a difference . . . . .

avatar Mary June 6, 2012 at 11:00 am

I hear you all. We can change the world or heal it. That is my life purpose. Need to affirm it every day. And not let the naysayers get in our way.

avatar Carol Hess June 6, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Yes, yes, yes. We seem to have a built-in forgetter that wants to make us forget we have a purpose. That’s why it’s so important we affirm it every day as you suggest and help each other to do what we came to do. Our world has never needed more changing and more healing than it does right now. But the good news is there are a lot of us who are going to encourage the change and healing, each in our own individual way. And that gives me hope. It also makes me giggle with barely contained excitement. :)

avatar Charlotte Rains Dixon June 12, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Love it: “I’m here to change the world.” Feels good to say it! A statement that goes right along with it, to me, is courtesy of Edwene Gaines: “I am a woman of power.” That one feels good to say, too!

avatar Carol Hess June 13, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I love the simple, “I am a woman of power.” Stating our power out loud is so liberating, isn’t it, Charlotte?

avatar Adrienne Hays June 13, 2012 at 10:01 pm

YES!! It is so exciting to be a part of this shift in conciousness! Bringing the female energy/force into balance with the (as to date) dominating male energy/force is a HUGE part of healing this planet and ALL of the women alive today are integral to the success of this movement! An amazing book that I just came across recently that reinforced, inspired, and deepened my understanding of the female principles is The 13 Original Clan Mothers by Jamie Sams. I would LOVE for every woman on this planet to read it and live these truths. My open heart to all of you!! I will do everything that I can to contribute my unique gifts and voice and in turn be open to listen to the voices and receive the gifts of my fellow women of power. Love to All!!!

avatar Carol Hess June 14, 2012 at 7:22 am

I love Jamie Sams, Adrienne. I use Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals, which she co-authored with David Carson, all the time. Will definitely pick up The 13 Original Clan Mothers. Isn’t it an amazing time to be alive and to be part of the shift?! So glad you stopped by, Adrienne, and joined the conversation here at Star Polisher.