The Power of Surrender

by Carol Hess on December 7, 2012

(This is the third post in the Authentic Power series.)

These are strange and stressful times that frequently leave us feeling powerless.

Our old way of doing things isn’t working any more.  One look at the American government, education, infrastructure, economy, health care, and financial systems is proof positive that the old order is broken.

The same holds true for most of the planet.

The old order in our personal world isn’t working any more either.  We’re walking away from long-held marriages, careers, friendships, lifestyles.  Our old dreams and passions and visions are being subjected to scrutiny and found wanting.  Even our beliefs, values, and how we see ourselves are all shifting in a way most of us have never experienced before.

All these years, we’ve been standing on strong, stable rocks in the middle of the stream called our life, and they’ve kept us safe, dry, and secure.  But now the rocks are shifting, getting wobbly, and crumbling right out from under us.  We’re left in water way over our heads and out of our depth.  Our response is to paddle like crazy and grasp at anyone or anything that might save us from drowning.

It’s not working.  We’re going under for the third time.

Help!  How do we save ourselves?

By giving up the struggle.  By ceasing our mad paddling and frantic grasping.  By turning over and floating with our vulnerable belly full of feelings exposed.  By allowing ourselves to be carried by the current of a power greater than us.

It’s called surrender.

It’s the hardest and the most important thing we’ll ever do.

We surrender what we thought we knew.  We surrender what we have envisioned and planned.  We even surrender who we thought we were and our purpose for being here.

We surrender it all.

And we don’t take it back even when the water gets rough and we can’t see above the waves bearing down on us.  We surrender to the nothingness and not knowing that is our lifestream now.  We surrender to feeling more alone and more powerless than we’ve ever felt before.

And then something miraculous happens.

We discover we have surrendered ourselves into a depth of stillness and calm we’ve rarely experienced.  Our aloneness and powerlessness disappear,  we are surrounded by community, and we are filled with a love and a power like none before.

This is our own divine magnificence that has been waiting for us.  It’s always been waiting for us.  All we ever had to do was surrender to it.

Today is Day 7 in the Reset.Revise.Restart Program, and it’s all about surrender.  It’s also the last day you can register.  It’s not too late to get in on one of the juiciest, most powerful end-of year programs I’ve ever participated in. Do it now, and don’t forget to use STARPOLISHER for your discount code to save yourself some money.

Reset.Revise.Restart Program

Categories Authentic Power, Stress Management

avatar Sandi Amorim December 7, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I have never been a fan of surrender, and it took a powerful shift this year to finally let go of my old belief about it. I hung on to that old belief with a death grip, not realizing it was really killing off my zest for life.

Now it feels like letting go and surrender go hand in hand. As I let go of what no longer serves me, a space opens up and I willingly surrender to that.

avatar Carol Hess December 7, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Exactly, Sandi! Somewhere along the way, I think we got the idea that surrender meant we were giving up, had failed. I believe it means quite the contrary — that we are successfully moving forward.

avatar Sarah | Holistic Hot Sauce December 7, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Just today I was using this analogy about how all this risk taking is like paddling through a rough river, not sure how many times I’ll get dunked under. And hey, forgot about the technique of just floating on my back. Let those waves me where they will.

Surrender is a hard one for us control freaks (at least for this control freak), yet ahhh, the sparkling light that peeks from the other side. Yet I think I might need a new reminder and lesson every day!

avatar Carol Hess December 8, 2012 at 8:27 am

Sarah, I don’t think there’s a person on the planet who doesn’t prefer to be able to control their life. So I guess that makes us all control freaks! :) I think surrender is one of the hardest spiritual practices there is, and we get better at every time we do it. I’m not sure we get more comfortable with it though.

avatar Daniel Brenton December 8, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Carol —

This is reminding me of the “parable” In Richard Bach’s Illusions of the river creatures that spend their lives clinging to rocks. One lets go, gets battered by the rocks as he was warned, but finally gets out toward the center of the river and learns to trust it “because the river knows where it’s going.” Looks like we’re all going to find out, huh?!

(I will confess it’s one thing to burn your boat behind you, but another to have someone or something else burn it without asking …!)

— Daniel

avatar Carol Hess December 9, 2012 at 1:15 am

I’m not familiar with Bach’s Illusions, but I think I would like it. Yeah, I much prefer to burn my own boat, Daniel, but it seems we haven’t got much choice in the matter these days. However, I have faith that what’s happening is all for the good. Time will tell, won’t it? Thanks for dropping in here and joining the conversation! :)

avatar Daniel Brenton December 9, 2012 at 1:44 am

Agreed, Carol. Time will tell.

— Daniel

avatar Marjorie Perrier December 10, 2012 at 3:06 pm

indeed i feel the letting go now, as i let go of all my past i become so light that i float and the swirls of water do not effect me. this has been continuous for several days. in so doing i find myself in the now, me now and whole, free!
nice blog!

avatar Carol Hess December 10, 2012 at 3:30 pm

With surrender comes the lightness of freedom, Margie, right?