Welcome to the Star Polisher Blog

by Carol Hess on April 6, 2011

Welcome to the Star Polisher blog.  That’s Carol Corola (also known as CC) there to the left.  She’s the muse who whispers the words in my ear, especially the naughty ones I’m not supposed to write.

She’s also the Star Polisher.  One of these days, I’ll tell you how she came into being.  It’s a great story that involves a mysterious but oh so attractive Mexican writer, a book that turned a publishing house upside down, and a life purpose finally understood.

But that’s the past.  Let’s talk about the present.  Let’s talk about this blog you’ve landed on and what it’s all about.  Correction:  what it’s going to be all about since this is the very first post.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in January 2010.  There was a time there, right after the initial diagnosis and before treatment started, when I thought I wasn’t going to survive.  What little I had been told wasn’t good.

I spent three days believing my death was more or less imminent.  During those three days, I looked back over my life, and I didn’t like what I saw.  Opportunities wasted.  Potential unfulfilled.  Dreams not pursued.  Relationships discarded.

I saw too much anger and fear and not enough love and faith.  I saw a life that hadn’t counted for much, that hadn’t made much of a difference.  I saw a life not lived.  A life postponed.  A life waiting to happen.

And it was too late to do anything about it.  I had just run out of time.

Those three days were excruciating.  And then I made a decision.  I decided I wasn’t going to leave my life the way I had lived it.  I wasn’t going out in fear and anger.  I was going out in love and faith.  And my excruciating pain came to an end.

Less than an hour later, the oncologist told me my cancer was curable.  My prognosis was excellent.  I had been given a reprieve.  I had been given a second chance.  I hadn’t run out of time . . . . . yet.

Cancer is a game changer.  And that was okay with me.  My game needed changing.  Cancer wakes you up.  And that was okay with me too.  I had been asleep long enough.  Cancer was the spiritual 2 by 4 right between the eyes that I needed in the worst sort of way.

Cancer has given me the courage to stop hugging the walls of the room, stop playing small, stop living in my shadows.  And that’s where this blog comes in.

This blog is about me stepping into the center of the room and allowing myself to be seen.  It’s about me playing big and living big.  It’s about polishing my star and allowing my light to shine.

And it’s about letting you see me do it.

I suspect this blog may also be about you doing the same thing.  About you polishing your star and allowing your light to shine.  About us helping each other and doing it together.

So what do you say?  Are you ready for a little star polishing?  I know exactly where I need to start polishing my star.  What about you?

Let the polishing begin!

Categories Personal Empowerment

avatar Rebecca April 8, 2011 at 11:18 am

Welcome back!
I can’t wait to follow you on your adventures. You are truely inspiring and it’s a tremendous pleasure to be working with you!!

Rebecca x

avatar Carol Hess April 8, 2011 at 11:52 am

Thank you so much, Rebecca. And ditto — you are inspiring too and wonderful to work with. In fact, I think some of your fearless, can-do attitude rubbed off on me and encouraged me to take this step. It takes a village to raise a child and start a new blog/business! :)

avatar Sandra Martini April 8, 2011 at 11:21 am

Hey Carol,

Thank you SO much for sharing your story with us! We lost my Dad to cancer in 2007 and you couldn’t have said it better…it’s a game changer and wakes you up pretty darn quick. I’m thrilled to bear witness as your star shines ever brighter.

Supporting you in your journey as I continue on my own to reverse diabetes.

Star polishers unite and support!

Love,

Sandy :-)

avatar Carol Hess April 8, 2011 at 11:56 am

Yay, Sandy! That’s me cheerleading you on to reverse your diabetes. You are a person who gets results at whatever she does. I have no doubt you will do the same with your health. I hope you’ll share some of your own trials, tribulations, and triumphs right here on Star Polisher. That’s why it’s here — to help all of us who are doing whatever it takes to polish our stars and let our light shine.

avatar Heidi Lyn April 8, 2011 at 11:27 am

I love this Carol! What an amazing wake up call and how incredible that you are now ready to shine. I’m excited to follow your journey.

avatar Carol Hess April 8, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Heidi Lyn — Welcome to Star Polisher! I’m so glad you’ve joined our brand-new community. I’m rushing over to your website, http://www.tobeluminous.com. Needless to say, I love the name! :) I’m looking forward to some great conversations with the word “luminous” sprinkled in frequently — it’s one of my favorite words. Thanks for stopping by, Heidi Lyn.

avatar Evelyn Kalinosky April 8, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Woo hoo! I’ve missed you and your muse, and can’t wait to read all about your travels in the land of self-care. Who knows, Carol, you might even run into me there!

Seriously, you are an amazing writer and person who will bring so much value to your readers – I’ve signed up so I don’t miss a single entry, and you know you can count on me to spread the word about your blog!

I’m not going to say “safe travels” as you embark on this new journey – safe isn’t where you’re going. Safe is what keeps us stuck sometimes, so I’ll say “break a leg” like they do in the theater, which means “tear it up, baby! You rock!”

Evelyn

avatar Carol Hess April 8, 2011 at 4:33 pm

So great to see you here on the Star Polisher blog, Evelyn. It’s always wonderful to have a good friend along for a ride into new territory — especially one who will spread the word! :) It’s nice to know your shining face/avatar will be popping up here on a regular basis. I have no doubt you’ll be sharing some of your incredible writing with us, and I’m looking forward to that.

avatar Rhonda April 8, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Hey, Carol. Thought I’d check out your blog before I washed the reminder of my hand and forgot forever. And here it is – and you’re inspiring as always. I look forward to more. Who knows, maybe you’ll inspire me to get my own blog up one of these days.

avatar Carol Hess April 8, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Glad you got here, Rhonda. I would love it if you got your own blog going — you’re a terrific writer and have lots to share. But feel free to share here in the meantime. “Mi blog es su blog” :)

avatar Monica Dennis April 8, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Hi Carol! Wasn’t sure what to mak of your blog agenda when I read your email, so I stopped by. I can’t say I know this particular situation you are in regarding your health, but this: “This blog is about me stepping into the center of the room and allowing myself to be seen. It’s about me playing big and living big. It’s about polishing my star and allowing my light to shine.” Ah yes, THAT resonates because that is PRECISELY what I am doing right now. Taking that inner me that has always been there and letting her sparkle a heck of a lot more than she did before – and mind you, I’m not just starting this I’ve been coming out of my shell since college! A different petal unfolds as I get older and I knew hitting 40 would trigger something. I suppose this is the start of that – more drama! That’s what I tell myself. The good kind. The kind that makes me dress a little more noticeably, even though I’ve never been shy when it comes to color. The kind that makes me say, “forget my visibility issues!” and finally start vlogging and doing videos for my business.

I get you. Let’s polish!

avatar Carol Hess April 8, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Hip, hip, hooray — another dedicated star polisher! So glad you stopped by to check things out, Monica. Yes, let’s see the diamond that is you sparkle so much we’re blinded by your awesomeness! Ah, the 40′s. I remember them well. It’s a great time of life, but then all the decades are if we allow them to be, right? It sounds like you are setting yourself up to experience your forties as nothing short of fabulous. Thanks for your comment, Monica — looking forward to many more.

avatar Lisa MB April 8, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Oh my dear. You’ve been standing in the middle of the room all your life. Your light shining brightly some days, dimly on others. Multiple times you’ve been asked to dance. Sing. Keep your light on.

You just said YES when cancer came calling. I’m glad you did.

No more parking on the dance floor, baby!

Congratulations on your “new” life story.

xo

avatar Carol Hess April 8, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Love the way you reframed my hugging the walls, Lisa. Love it, love it. “No more parking on the dance floor,” reminds me of an old college chant — best chanted after consuming several alcoholic beverages.

They’re tearing down the old bar. Boo!
They’re building a new bar. Yay!
No making out on the dance floor. Boo!
No dancing on the make out floor. Yay!

I’m so glad you stopped by, Lisa. You are a star polisher if ever there was one! :)

avatar Julie Henderson April 8, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I’m so happy to hear your situation has had a turnabout. Often people ask me why I wrote my book and I tell them, ‘I didn’t want to have regrets about not doing the things I wanted and dreamed about.’ I want to help others do the same and make a difference. I want to play BIG. Thanks for the reminder, Carol. You are an inspiration, a Star Polisher!

avatar Carol Hess April 10, 2011 at 11:46 am

“If you get the right (words) in the right order, you can nudge the world a little…” (Tom Stoppard, British playwright) Which is why I am SO glad you wrote your book, Julie — not only did you pursue and realize your dream, but you nudged the world a little. Thank you for doing that — and for stopping by Star Polisher and joining the conversation.

Hey, Everybody! If you are interested in learning more about Julie’s book and/or her coaching, just click on her name and you will go right to her website.

avatar Kim Kaberle April 9, 2011 at 9:15 am

Can’t wait to hear more from the Star Polisher. I hope some of your polish will rub off on me!! Glad your back.

RUB ON!! (or should I say Wax On, Wax Off)
Kim

avatar Carol Hess April 10, 2011 at 11:52 am

So great to see you here, Kim. Loved your wax on, wax off comment! :) I think the more we polish our own stars, the more we help other people polish their stars. And the more stars that are shining brightly, the more light bathes our world.

“. . .the star polisher not only polishes our stars, (the star polisher) illuminates our dreams.” (Emilio Rojas, Little Friend)

avatar Anneva April 9, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Hi Carol,
So good to see you! I am so in agreement. i feel so much the same way! Standing in the middle of the room and letting myself shine as much as I can; which I haven’t done too much of in my life. It’s time!!!
Thanks for this. I’ll be keeping in touch. :)
Anneva.

avatar Carol Hess April 10, 2011 at 11:57 am

Yes indeed, Anneva. It’s time for you to shine and me to shine and everyone to shine. Put your sunglasses on, Everybody! We’re going to dazzle the world with our light. :)