When you know what you’re worth,

by Carol Hess on September 4, 2012

1.  You don’t settle for second best.

2.  You receive compliments well.

3.  You ask for what you deserve.

4.  You don’t allow anyone to abuse you in any way, shape, or form.

5.  You speak nicely to and about yourself.

6.  You take care of yourself.

7.  You attract people into your life who also know what you’re worth.

8.  You ask for help.

9.  You treasure and cultivate the special genius that is yours alone.

10.  You seek only your own approval.

You are enough.

Categories Carol's Musings, Personal Empowerment, The Art of Star Polishing, The Mind Game

avatar Jackie Walker September 5, 2012 at 9:05 am

I do love a post which makes me stop, this did :) The image which came up for me when I read what you’re worth was a price tag! But the word I heard inside was respect. Now I’m prompted to ask a question Carol please … is it what you’re worth, or is it that you are worthy, as I see them as very different things?

avatar Carol Hess September 5, 2012 at 9:35 am

That is an excellent question, Jackie! I’ve got to stop and think about it for a minute. For me, worth and worthy mean the same thing and for some reason or another I prefer the word worth to worthy. I have no idea why. :) I do understand the distinction you are making though. Yes, I am talking about self-respect and self-love — no price tag included because they are priceless!

avatar Ellen Berg September 5, 2012 at 9:20 am

Love this. I can see adapting it to use with my middle schoolers and helping them get good with themselves instead of worrying about everyone around them in constant comparison.

avatar Carol Hess September 5, 2012 at 9:43 am

Yes, please, Ellen. This is SO what our children need to learn because society is bombarding them with external measures of worthiness (like comparison) instead of internal ones. You can counter balance that, and when you do, you are changing the world one child at a time.

avatar San D September 5, 2012 at 1:23 pm

11. You look people in the eye when you talk to them.

12. You walk with purpose with your head held high.

13. You have a positive attitude and smile naturally.

First impressions let people know from afar that you “mean it”.

avatar Carol Hess September 5, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Love these additions, San D — especially #12. Thanks!

avatar Stephanie September 5, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Short. To the point. Powerful!

avatar Carol Hess September 5, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Thanks, Steph. Sometimes less is more. :)

avatar Nancy September 5, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Love your post Carol! The picture of the sunflower makes me feel all warm and glowy inside, just like one must when they know what they’re worth. ‘Nuf said. Thanks Carol!

avatar Carol Hess September 5, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I love sunflowers too, Nancy. I passed a field of them the other day — that’s probably what worked on my subconscious to choose that image for the post.

avatar Sarah | Holistic Hot Sauce September 5, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Beautiful Carol! I want a poster of this! And Ellen – please take this to your kids in the classroom. If only we all learned such notions in middle school – what a different world this would be!

avatar Carol Hess September 5, 2012 at 11:55 pm

No poster available yet, Sarah. But have you downloaded the Star Polisher Manifesto? It’s kind of a poster and pretty cool if I say so myself. :)

avatar Denise Wade Ph.D. September 8, 2012 at 10:56 am

I am printing this off, enlarging it, and posting it to my office wall. What a great gift! Thank You!

avatar Carol Hess September 9, 2012 at 8:37 am

I’m so glad the post spoke to you, Denise. Print away!